(Closed) Worth paying $500 for a 20 point difference? Need your input :)

posted 6 years ago in Rings
  • poll: Worth Paying $500 more for a larger diamond?
    Yes bigger is better as long as it's cut well! : (39 votes)
    52 %
    NO! Get the smaller diamond and better color. : (34 votes)
    45 %
    Neither! : (2 votes)
    3 %
  • Post # 3
    3312 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

Depends how color sensitive you are. Fancy cuts tend to show color a bit more, but may also face up very white. If size is important to you then the larger stone might be the way to go.

Post # 4
    2372 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: April 2018

The thing is… even though its specs are .2 larger, that’s not all going to show up in the ‘face’ of the diamond, if you know what I mean. The difference may really not look as significant as you’d imagine.

Also… it depends on what your color preference is. I personally prefer white diamonds (D-F range). H is still near-colorless, but J is getting pretty close to yellow-y to me.

Post # 5
    56 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: June 2001

I’m reaaaaalllllyyyy color sensitive so mine is an E as a G was very noticeable and unacceptable.  I personally would get the better color and smaller stone.  Have you checked out the Jared.com website for the loose stones? You can loop over them and really see the minute details.  How are the inclusions in either stone?

Post # 6
    699 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

I’m really color sensitive and I had the exact same dilemma as you. I was choosing between a 1.20 H and a 1.03 F — I ended up going with the F. I also looked at the measurements too and the top face of the diamonds were almost identical which made the H a poorer quality cut.

If there is only a 500 difference I would look into the measurements too. A smaller, brighter diamond may look bigger than a “bigger” lower quality diamond. You just want to make sure that the extra carat weight is obvious when it’s face up and it’s not carrying it’s weight in the bottom of the stone.

I would go with the smaller higher quality.

Post # 8
    65 posts
    Worker bee

@LadySnow:  What are the measurements of each diamond? That plays a huge part, not just carat weight. Having measurements will help determine how well it is cut, although there is no current system to judge “ideal” in fancies.

As PP said, fancies also show a bit more color. Is it graded GIA? A GIA J will be A LOT whiter than say, an EGL J.

You’ll also need to keep in mind the proportions — longer and thinner, shorter and fatter, etc will also play a part in size perception. They say the most pleasing L:W ratio is 1.75 to 2.05 in marquise. I personally like them a bit fatter so it’s not so canoe looking – around the 1.8 to 1.85 LW ratio.

Have you seen the stones? Marquise (and pears, too) can have a life of their own, so even if it’s matches all the specs you want, I would still probably look at them in person just to see what appeals to your eye the most.

Here’s a resource for add’l help:

http://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/marquise-cut-diamond

ETA: Any fluorescence on either stone? That will help negate any warmth, too.

Post # 9
    1105 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

I think its important to see the diamonds. The first place Fiance took me they said “most people dont realize they cant tell the difference between J and F or SI2 and VS2.” Guess who noticed the color difference and could spot every inclusion, this girl! So, my Fiance decided to actually take me to a place and let me see diamonds. I got to even take them out of the store and see them in natural sunlight, and I ended up getting a F Si1 .91 round brilliant, that looked exactly the same (but actually shines brighter) then a similar 2k dollar more 1ct E triple excellent VS2 diamond. I literally held them right next to each other, brought them outside together and held a little microscope thing up to them. I would NEVER have guessed. I still cant find the inclusion in my stone to this day, and I was told since its only one and called a “feather finish” that they pretty much hide it by the setting and never see it! Oh, I was also told by a couple of jewelers that a 1ct diamond can be anything from .91-1.9 (this was from the chains like jared, kays, etc) we ended up buying from a local jeweler in San Diego who was great.

Post # 11
    65 posts
    Worker bee

@LadySnow:  Though .79mm doesn’t sound like a big difference, it is huge when it comes to diamonds/gemstones.

Regarding color, most mall or chain jewelry stores carry the I-J stones as main stock. You could visit one and take a gander to see what you think. Some people notice color more than others. Round brilliants tend to show less color overall …and a well cut stone in any shape will show less color, too.

Is your setting going to be white gold, platinum, or yellow gold with a white head? Any side stones or halo-ing or will it be a solitaire?

Post # 13
    65 posts
    Worker bee

@LadySnow:  I’m not sure if you’ve already stated/answered this, but do you have access to the stones before purchasing? You’ll also want to check out their bow-ties, too.

Post # 15
    407 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: November 2012

I wouldn’t go past a F or G at most. H is pushing it and J doesn’t look good.

Post # 16
    328 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

@LadySnow:  It depends on how the J looks on your skin. I am color sensitive and can detect any yellow so it would bother me a lot if it was a bit yellow. But if the color is relatively the same, I’d def go for the .70

The topic ‘Worth paying $500 for a 20 point difference? Need your input :)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors