(Closed) Would you go to a less nice resort to save less than $1,000?

posted 6 years ago in Honeymoons
  • poll: Would you stay at a less exciting hotel to save $800?
    Yes, $800 is a significant difference : (29 votes)
    46 %
    No, it's the honeymoon, where you are supposed to splurge : (29 votes)
    46 %
    Other (please explain?) : (5 votes)
    8 %
  • Post # 3
    667 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

the difference between a 4 and a 5 star isn’t that much. If it was the difference betwwen a 3 and a 5 I wouldn’t go for it. If he is concerned about the money I would be to, but that is just me. I hope you have a awesome honeymoon whatever one you choose. 

Post # 4
    1587 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: January 2013

I’m going both ways… 800 is a lot of money. Especially when we are talki g about each person (assuming that’s how it is) however. If you have the money… And it’s for your honeymoon… I say why not! 

You probably worked you’re butt of to host a beautiful wedding for your guests to attend so why not reward yourselves with a well deserved vacation…. If you don’t have the cash on hand, I’d say to go with the cheaper resort because I bet you’ll have fun with your new husband either way. Congrats fellow bee and have an awesome honeymoon!

Post # 6
    355 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

@Imean:  I say if you can afford it, do it! memories are forever, and an extra 800 isn’t too bad considering your wedding is covered already. I am just the type that loves experiences over anything else. Smile

Post # 7
    1346 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 2012

Id use the extra $800 for nice dinners out while on your honeymoon!

Post # 8
    906 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: December 2012

I say that if the money is available, splurge! I know it sounds more reasonable to save, but like you mentioned its your honeymoon, it should only come around once, why not go with what you really want!

Post # 9
    199 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

Read the reviews of both hotels, that will tell you a lot more than how many stars its rated. If your ever going to splurge, honeymoon is the time to do it but if its going to be finanically hard, the 4 star will still be amazing

Post # 10
    4653 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

I say do the 4 star hotel and use the extra money to do something you wouldnt have been able to do on the honeymoon other wise! Or you can use that money for some great new Honey moon/ Newly wed clothes!

Post # 11
    2889 posts
    Sugar bee

I have an alternate suggestion. Is it possible to stay at the nicer ressort in a lower class room? If it is the ressort you are most interested in, I would give up a swim out room or an ocean view before down gradeing to another ressort than you can still have the same ressort benefits and save $. Also, there is a chance you will get your room upgraded at check in  but you won’t get to switch ressorts.

Post # 12
    191 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

800 is a good chunk of change if you are ok with saving it I’d put it away and use it for maybe a one year anniversary trip or anything else that may come up in the future! Atleast the hotel is only a one star difference your not jumping down from a five to a two star or anything!

Post # 12
    3618 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: November 2011

If you have the extra money to spend then I say go for it. We definitely splurged for our honeymoon. I felt the same way you do about it being a once in a lifetime vacation and only excuse to splurge like that.

Post # 13
    3175 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

Personally, I think $800 is too much extra to spend for the difference between a 4 and 5 star resort. Like other posters suggested, I’d probably use the extra cash for nice dinners or outings as opposed to another hotel. The only way I’d pay the extra is if the 4 star legitimately did not seem like a nice hotel overall and/or got bad reviews.

Post # 14
    1572 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2009

if it was more than 800$ then yea. But its our honeymoon and we seriously wont be on vacation like that for a while. We splurged on ours.

Post # 15
    2107 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: April 2012

Would you just be getting a basic room in the better room?  If so, I would think there would be better value in getting the best room in the lower priced resort instead of the worst room in the best resort. 

The topic ‘Would you go to a less nice resort to save less than $1,000?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors