(Closed) Would you pay $500 for these rescue pups?

posted 6 years ago in Pets
Post # 3
3501 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2002

i would say yes! i see those breeds going for that price and higher in areas around here, and the breed of puppies i have (shiba inu) were spendier than that, and they were worth every penny! even with all the work they are and things theyve chewed on, lol!

i think smaller breed pups tend to be spendier – and it might be a while to find a better deal or lower price! maybe if youre buying two they would do some sort of deal?!

good luck with your decision and your new pet!

Post # 4
768 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I probably would, look at their faces. I’d love to get another dog, but worry my current pup might be jealous, you eliminate that by getting them together! Plus 500 isn’t really that much compared to how much you would pay to buy from a breeder (at least from what i’ve seen around where I live!) Good luck! 🙂

Post # 5
1660 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Oh my goodness, they’re adorable!

I say yes, that’s worth it, as long as it’s a reputable rescue. Will they have had much vet care other than the bottle feeding? Will you get them before or after spay/neuter? Often times people balk at high fees for shelter/rescue dogs; however, people don’t realize how much is spent on their vet care. Also, higher fees for puppies often helps defray the costs associated with care for older pets.

Good luck!

Post # 6
5984 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1999

@MsYellowJacket: I don’t know what that breed normally sells for, but they sure are stinkin’ cute!  Smile I think fullbred dogs (especially AKC certified) are worth that much or more.  Plus, the fact that they are from a rescue is really awesome because they’ve probably received great care (I’d ask what vet care they’ve had/will have with that fee)!  Imagine the happiness and unconditional love that he/she will give you for years!?!?

Post # 7
1645 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I have a really hard time paying to give a dog in a shelter a good home, but it’s also the way rescue/shelter’s make money to keep running. It sounds like the rescue is using the demand for that type of puppy to their advantage by charging more. I’m not a fan and would go elsewhere, but if you want that breed of dog and have the $, at least your helping a dog and a rescue group. 

Post # 8
62 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Thats a lot for rescues. But I would pay that to a breeder. I’d check to see how legit this rescue group is first, but I’d do it.

Post # 9
2607 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

It would depend on what is included in the adoption fee.  Adoption fees of $300-$500 are not uncommon for puppies, especially small-breed puppies.  I am assuming they’ve been vetted, and that the adoption fee includes spaying or neutering?  Spaying and neutering can be spendy, so if it’s included in the adoption fee, yes, I would probably pay it.

Post # 10
3771 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013 - Brookfield Zoo

I’ve been told that more and more “backyard breeders” have started listing on petfinder, taking away from the real purpose of finding homes for rescue animals.  The fact that they said it’s the “going rate” for that mix is incredibly suspicious.  You might as well just go to an actual private breeder who won’t give you some bs story (although finding a shelter dog is the best).

Just my two cents…

Post # 11
2584 posts
Sugar bee

Hm, generally mixes aren’t quite so much, at least around here. At our local humane society all dogs are about $100 to adopt and that includes a wellness checkup, all necessary shots, and neutering. Make sure you see proof of all the vet services before you buy, and I’d also recommend looking into other breeders to verify if that’s really the “going rate.”

Post # 12
5148 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

“that’s the going rate for schnauzer/yorkie mixes.”

That’s a load of crap. A shelter puppy is a shelter puppy, end of story. A schnauzer/yorkie mix shouldn’t cost any more than a heinz-57 mutt.

I would do A LOT of research on this so-called “rescue”. $500 is a sale, not an adoption fee. Very fishy to me…

Post # 13
2584 posts
Sugar bee

@abbyful: Agreed, real rescue shelters generally charge the same for all dogs.

Post # 16
1458 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2015

Another thing that raises red flags for me: even though it’s sweet that they were bottle fed since birth, they could possibly have a lot of separation anxiety problems or other emotional issues that another dog who spent a proper amount of time with its mother might not have.  Also $500 is a LOT for a shelter dog, rescue group or not.

The topic ‘Would you pay $500 for these rescue pups?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors