(Closed) Would you pay $500 for these rescue pups?

posted 8 years ago in Pets
Post # 32
2103 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

That’s a lot of money! I’d definitely be doing my research on the rescue to make sure they’re legit…not that I doubt it, but I’d want to learn all I could about them so I could feel comfortable making a contribution of that size to their program. I’d rather give a rescue that much money than a breeder, that’s for sure.

Post # 33
1660 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

View original reply
@Lexy: I agree!

View original reply
@MsYellowJacket:

I really think it comes down to whether or not you like the dogs (health, tempermant, energy level, breed, etc.), whether the rescue is legit, and whether you prefer to get a pet from a reputable breeder or via adoption.

When you adopt/buy a puppy, you’re making a lifelong (~12-18 years for a small dog) commitment. I personally don’t feel like it’s the place to worry about a difference of a couple hundred dollars, as long as that money is going to a good cause and not to a backyard breeder or something. I mean, if your budget it tight, then it might not make sense for you to get these dogs, but I don’t feel that cost should be the primary decision point… (this is coming from someone who is very frugal!). [Also, not saying that it is the primary decision point for you – just sayin’ in general! :)]

$500 may not be the going rate for puppy adoptions, but it may be in line with what “breeders” charge for that cross and probably much less than what pet stores charge.

Rescues get TONS of applications for the cute dogs but still take in the not-so-cute ones with mange and everything else. So they charge more for the sought-after dogs to be able to pay for the less sought after ones. Is that fair? Maybe not, but it wouldn’t really be fair to only save cute – highly sought after dogs either.

Vet care is extremely expensive. A legitimate rescue is not out to line it’s pockets, rather, it is just trying to cover operating costs, which are MUCH higher than you’d ever imagine.

Sorry if that sounded soap-boxy! ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 34
13095 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

View original reply
@78h2o: The only “breeders” who are going to sell a schnauzer/yorkie mix (aka a mutt) are backyard breeders.  Legitimate breeders don’t ever breed mutts.

Post # 35
3374 posts
Sugar bee

Yes… my Yorkie was over 2k and if she died I wouldn’t hesitate to pay that much again. Lovely dogs.

Post # 36
1660 posts
Bumble bee

View original reply
@Mrs.KMM: agreed. That’s why I used quotes around “breeders” ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 37
319 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

View original reply
@Mrs.KMM: Totally fair! I just wanted to make sure we kept in mind that the dollar amount itself shouldn’t be a deal breaker if everything else is kosher.

Post # 39
13095 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

View original reply
@MsYellowJacket: Good luck at the Atlanta Humane Society!  I browsed through their available dogs yesterday when I was looking up adoption fees and they had some real sweeties!

You’ll have to post pictures for us when you find one!

Post # 41
842 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I paid either $300 or $400 for my dog a couple years ago.  I can’t remember exactly how much it was now, but she was estimated to be about 2 at the time.  When I was looking I saw a lot of places that charged more for puppies.  I don’t think that $500 is outrageous, but as others have said I would make sure they’ve been neutered/spayed, shots, etc. 

Also, maybe the group would be willing to bargain if you and your parents are going to each buy one.  2 guaranteed adopters at $800 might be appreciated, as opposed to only hoping to get $500 each out of them.

ETA:  should have read the poster’s update first!

Post # 42
1660 posts
Bumble bee

View original reply
@MsYellowJacket: oooh, exciting! good luck! ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 43
1547 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Yes! I would def pay $500 for a puppy & they are sooo cute!  That seems like a good price these days & smaller breeds tend to sell for more money, someone once told me this is because they have smaller litters.

Post # 45
2550 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Although they are cuties, I wouldn’t pay that much for a puppy from anyone.  That’s just my personal opinion.  I’ve recently adopted my Pekingese mix from a Shelter even though I found some real cuties via local Rescues.  Brownie isn’t perfect(severe underbite) so I highly doubt he would’ve rescued.  Also I don’t believe in giving my DNA and other private info to adopt. 

My suggestion is to continue to look @ the local shelters and adopt a 2yr or older.  Brownie is 2 and although he’s a Brat, he’s crate trained and potty trained.  He doesn’t have some bad habits such as jumping on the couch and bed but those are minor when it comes too being crate and potty trained.

The topic ‘Would you pay $500 for these rescue pups?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors