(Closed) Would you report a harassment phone call?

posted 9 years ago in Legal
  • poll: If some random person made a harassing call to your cell, would you report the incident?
    Yes! This could turn into something serious and safety comes first! : (24 votes)
    35 %
    Eh, it's just to my cell. They'll never find me so probably not, no. : (41 votes)
    60 %
    Other - please explain! : (3 votes)
    4 %
  • Post # 32
    3389 posts
    Sugar bee

I feel sorry for Ignacio! LOL

Post # 33
    307 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: November 2012

@CestTresJolie14:  “and they know I’m a victim. I feel so violated.”

Are you serious? Someone called and was mean to you. I’m sure if no one has ever been mean to you before that it came as a shock but it doesn’t equate to you being a victim. People who are beaten or raped are victims. A woman you don’t know was mean to you on the phone. There’s a difference.

The cops are not going to take one mistaken phone call seriously. They are not going to track her down, find out her name and address, and send someone to speak to her. If it was a pattern, then yes. But one call is not harrassment. It’s a mistake. They are going to think you’re unstable and go about they’re business.

If anything I would be concerned on why you’re taking this call to the point of paranoia.

Post # 36
    288 posts
    Helper bee

Sounds like a wrong number to me.

If she called again I would tell her Ignacio was the best I’ve ever had.

Post # 37
    4173 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: April 2018

Wow..that’s crazy. 

I’ve had a couple of people I’ve never met break up with my voicemail before…which makes me feel kind of like a human shield for whoever they were trying to call…after all, who dates a jerk that will dump you via voicemail anyway?

I would certainly stop interacting with this woman in any way and see if there was a way for my phone provider to block all calls from her for me…since legally it would be pretty difficult to prove what was happening without putting more energy into recording, verifying phone records and all that…..and as a rule, I don’t answer calls on my phone that don’t show up on the ID, if you ignore her she’s likely to take her “investigation” if we can call it that, up a notch and actually follow Ignacio to wherever and whomever he’s actually schtooping. 

Post # 38
    6533 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: February 2014

I would just ignore it and find it funny actually. But even if you don’t find it funny I don’t see any reason to be scared or upset. She dialed the wrong number! And it sounds like it was only once. 

Post # 39
    6533 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: February 2014

@FrannyW:  That is an AWESOME story. They call my aunt a lot and I’ve been over there once so she handed the phone to me and I tried to play with them but they caught on too quick. 

Post # 41
    514 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2014

I’d say go to the cops if she keeps harrassing you. Like you mentioned before, she probably feels stupid, but she likely realizes her error now. She was in a blind rage because her husband is probably cheating on her – so I’d say give her a pass unless she really does think its you and calls again.

Post # 43
    301 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

First I do completely believe that you are telling the truth when you say that you have not slept with this person.  If  you did then you would not be so upset about the phone call.

And unfortunately you are going to have to let it go.  Because even if you did go to the police there is nothing that they would do about it.

Try to see it from her perspective.  She fully believes that her husband is cheating on her.  And she believes that he is cheating on her with whoever the number was that she dialed on the napkin.  Not only could she have dialed the number wrong but there is a possibilty that the number could of been written down wrong.  And unfortunately you were the women on the other end of the phone.

Now if she is continuing to call you and starts making threats.  That is when you should go to the police.  But for now, unfortunately, it is best to just let this one go.

I am sorry that this happened to you.

Post # 44
    1640 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2015

No, I would not report it. It’s annoying for you, but she didn’t threaten to come find you and she hasn’t called again. If she becomes obsessive or mentions finding out where you live, then I most certainly would call the police.

She probably realizes her mistake. Hopefully she leaves you alone- that’s gotta be an unsettling phone call to take!

The topic ‘Would you report a harassment phone call?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors