Post # 1
My matron of honor has planned my bridal shower for this Saturday. It’s going to be very small, maybe 15 people. The problem is we’re expecting a very big snow storm in the coming days.
I overheard my fiance’s father suggest that we postpone the shower for another date. Meanwhile, it’s only two full days away and my matron of honor has already done all of the food shopping (she’s doing all of the cooking). I told my fiance that rescheduling wasn’t really an option, since cost is an issue for my matron of honor, and time is an issue for us, since our wedding is only one month away. Plus, it would be a bit of a nightmare re-inviting everyone and basically starting from scratch.
To be honest, I didn’t really want a shower to begin with, but now that it’s so close I was starting to look forward to it. But if it means very few people can come because of the weather, well, that’s fine. I’d rather people not risk driving in unsafe conditions. And really, I’m kind of going along with this because my Maid/Matron of Honor said I don’t have much choice in the matter.
However, my fiance seems to think that the shower isn’t for me, it’s for everyone else. I have a feeling that since he made the suggestion to postpone, his father probably feels the same way. Of course, neither one of them has ever planned any sizeable gathering, and I feel I have to defend my Maid/Matron of Honor here. To me, that’s way more important than being the center of attention at a party with lots of guests.
Post # 3
I would talk to your Maid/Matron of Honor and see how she feels about keeping the date or changing it. She is the one that has and is putting a lot of work into it.
Post # 4
Keep the shower as is. If people aren’t able to make, it won’t be the end of the world. You and the Maid/Matron of Honor can hang out at least, and neither of you will have to do more work.
Post # 5
I would suggest getting her to make the decision. It is a lot of work and she’s probably already done most of it. Plus the guests have made arrangements to come too. So it isn’t just putting her out. I would say have it and who can make it can.
Post # 6
I wouldn’t reschedule this close to the day unless your Maid/Matron of Honor is having panic attacks over the possible snowstorm. As long as your guests know that it’s ok if they can’t make it. I think spending an afternoon with your Maid/Matron of Honor eating delicious food (and maybe watching a funny wedding movie?) while it snows outside could be quite a nice way to spend some time actually!!!
Post # 7
- Wedding: March 2010 - Calamigos Ranch
Ooh, reschedule. You want people to be able to get there safely!
Post # 8
I wouldn’t reschedule–you don’t know what the weather will be doing. Leave it up to your Maid/Matron of Honor.
Post # 9
I agree with the others – ask your Maid/Matron of Honor and do whatever she is comfortable with! Or if you really want to reschedule and your Maid/Matron of Honor will have to re buy some food maybe you could offer to help pay?
Post # 10
I’m in the same boat. I have my shower planned for this weekend and we’re supposed to be getting a huge storm! And I also wasn’t up for a shower, but really wasn’t given a choice in the matter, as my FI’s family went ahead and planned one. I hate the be the center of attention, and a lot of people would have to travel, so I really wasn’t keen on the idea. But, now that it’s getting closer my nerves and apprehension have mostly gone away. We decided to go ahead, despite the weather, but advised people not to travel if it wasn’t safe and to check the weather for the entire route.
I would continue with the shower and support your Maid/Matron of Honor. Regardless of anyone’s thoughts or oppinions, it sounds like she’s put a lot of time and effort into planning this shower for you because she cares about you. Especially with food having already been purchased, I would go ahead and just have guests check the weather and let them know you’ll understand if they can’t make it.
Post # 11
Thanks so much for your responses. I really do appreciate the support.
Post # 12
if your Maid/Matron of Honor is the host it is all up to her and noone else. Speak to her, if she says you have no option well then thats it. What business do boys have in the shower anyway? lol
Post # 13
- Wedding: June 2010 - Tannery Pond at the Darrow School
Could you push it back just to Sunday? That would give folks a day to get out from under the snow but still allow your Maid/Matron of Honor to use all the food she bought…Just a thought! That sucks tho, I’m sorry!