Post # 1
I’m a longtime poster but I’m undercover for this post. My husband’s brother and sister-in-law have 13 month old twins who have no teeth yet and who just started walking within the last month. They regularly give them whole baby carrots to gnaw on while they unsteadily toddle about, sometimes out of their direct supervision. I am appalled by this. To me (and I would think most people), whole baby carrots are a severe choking hazard. I saw all of this happen over Thanksgiving and I really wanted to say something, but I opted to keep my mouth shut so as not to cause problems. My mother-in-law attempted to cut the carrots up, but my husband’s brother and sister-in-law insisted their kids are fine with them and to leave them be. Would you say something?
Post # 3
I would try to find a news report of a toddler choking, and share it with them. Say something like, “Oh my god, I read this and thought of Xavier! Did you know this??”
Or ask my husband to say something to his brother.
Post # 4
Isn’t this something their pediatrician should tell them?
It does seem to be a choking hazard, but some of the moms there are suggesting some mesh bag thing. Maybe buy them 2 and tell them that they should put the carrots in there because you saw a friend who is a mom use them and it’s much safer? I’m sure they’re not expensive and saying it that way makes it sound like you saw something new/cool, rather than that they were doing something wrong all along?
Post # 5
It’s not like they don’t know better–these are two highly educated people in their late 20s. They also have a 2.5 year old, so it’s not even like you can chalk up what they’re doing to inexperience. I am loathe to suggest anything because both of them are parental-know-it-alls, particularly the sister-in-law (which is funny considering what poor parental decisions they make). I have no children, so basically my opinion on what they’re doing would mean less than dirt I’m sure. It just makes me so angry. This isn’t the first time they’ve done something like this. My husband and I were babysitting their kids a few months ago and we found that they had given the then two year old plastic rings to play with. They were a big enough choking hazard to her, but what made it worse was that they were on the floor within reach of the then 9 month old twins. I guess I’m just venting.
Post # 6
I would say something. Everone thinks “this won’t happen to me,” and when it does it is all the more tragic. Young ones should never pay for a parents recklessness. You are right to vent, the children are your family as well and as a good family member you want to see that their safty is paramount to the they-think-they-know-better attitudes these parents are taking.
Post # 7
I would say something like, “You know that raw carrots are choking hazard?”. But I at least am a mother; it’d hard for you to say and will almost certainly NOT go over well, but I’d still try. If they vent at you, just say how you’d read that there had been deaths from choking on raw carrot (and raw apple for that matter).
If you want a specific reference, here is the New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/25/health/25bchoke.html “Dr. Gary Smith, the lead author of American Academy of Pediatrics’ policy statement on food hazards, says some foods should simply not be given to children under 4 or 5: he mentioned raw carrots, marshmallows, peanuts, popcorn, hard candies and gumballs.”