(Closed) Would you spend $4000 for photography?

posted 6 years ago in Photos/Videos
Post # 77
9595 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2015

I will be fo sho. 

Post # 78
2515 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

No. My entire weddingmoon/eloping thing is going to cost less than that.

Post # 79
3316 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

I wouldn’t.  But then again, my whole wedding was $10,000.  The photographer was $400.

Post # 80
766 posts
Busy bee

@smilestorm:  I think it depends a lot on what your priorities are for the wedding. While the photography was important to me, I was more interested in putting money into the flowers and dress. We did find a great photographer though who does beautiful work. I think our package includes 8 hours of shooting with two photographers for $2800. I think if the photography is at the top of your priority list, you should go for it. 

Post # 81
129 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

We did – we actually spent about $1,500 more. 

We decided early on that photography was really one of the absolute most important aspects of our day, so we found one that we really loved and decided she was worth the price.

We have 8 hours, 2 photogs, bridal portrait session with framed 16×20 bridal portrait, online gallery, full-res edited images, an album for us and a parents album.

Post # 82
129 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

@lnadinee:  it’s not always a matter of ‘if money was no object’… We made a deliberate decision to cut in lots of other places to get the photographer we wanted without going outside of our budget.  It’s all about what you & your Fiance decide are the most important things.

Post # 83
3371 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

I would, yes. Before switching to our current photographer, we had booked one whose base collection started at $7K. That (and other things) ended up being unworkable, hence the change…but I do still feel that it would have been ‘worth it.’ 

I don’t know if it’s necessarily as simple as being a percentage of the budget either. I’ve seen plenty of incredible weddings done by incredible (and expensive) photographers that have been simple elopements, intimate gatherings of just a few nearest and dearest etc. So I don’t think small wedding = scrimping on photography or vice-versa.

Post # 84
659 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

Ours is 2,500 for 2 shooters, 10 hours of coverage, engagement shoot and CD of all. Plus travel fee of 75 for engagement shoot & hotel for night of wedding as her wedding day travel fee.

we went with an out of town photographer as all the local ones started at 3,200 for 1 photographer. Our photographer mainly does newborn/family shoots but I really like her style, just got our engagement shoot sneak peak and I’m so excited about them all now! 

Post # 85
2075 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014 - British Columbia

My photographer charges that for a destination photo package. I chose my photog based on proximity/not having to pay for travel.

So, my Fiance definitely wouldn’t while I would have to plead with him to the moon. In short, I won’t be able to entertain any photographers with a $4k base.

I’m scheduling the logistics so that the important events get taken during the 5 to 6 hours time-frame. A good photog would always try to work with your budget and be able to tell you that if your schedule would be too rushed or if it’s feasible; etc.

Post # 86
537 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

We paid twice that and have zero regrets. We knew we wanted this specific photographer from out of town and made the photography budget a priority. You get what you pay for, and she was worth every penny!

Post # 87
1002 posts
Bumble bee

My maximum budget for the entire ceremony/reception is $5K.  This includes the rings.  Currently, we’ve hit an estimated total of around $2,700. 

So, no, there’s no way in hell we would spend $4K on photography.

Post # 88
1384 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

@smilestorm:  Yep. And we are spending upward of $4k for just photography. Your photos are what you’ll have to look back at after the wedding. Make sure you love who you pick. If it means spending $4k, so be it.

Post # 89
223 posts
Helper bee

Yep we are around the $3500 mark

Post # 90
2297 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

@smilestorm:  that’s what we’re spending. we’re having two photographers, a 3 hour engagement session, 8 hours on the wedding day, all edits and rights and an online gallery. that’s costing us 3995.00 

we’re SUPER happy with that – our photographers are amazing, have been on style me pretty etc and we also know a couple who recently had them shoot their wedding and loved them. i have no regrets about the price, my parents thought it was reasonable for the quality of their work and photos are what we’ll have after the day’s gone! i’d rather ‘borrow’ 1000 from the dress budget, not have a photobooth if it’s not feasible without cutting corners etc and have amazing photos. 

Post # 91
188 posts
Blushing bee

@smilestorm: That is exactly what we’re paying for our photographer, and that’s a little less than half of the total Fiance and I are contributing to the wedding. We are getting 8 hours of coverage (2 photographers) plus 2 hours at the tea ceremony the day before though. It depends on your location of course. 

The topic ‘Would you spend $4000 for photography?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors