(Closed) Would you spend 500 bucks on a cake topper?

posted 7 years ago in Decor
  • poll: Hnnnnnggg

You buy that cake topper right now. I will now post many reasons to justify spending this amount

Don't buy it! What the heck it's FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS are you insane??

• Post # 92
    1348 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

View original reply
    @Chrysoberyl:  … but can it realistically be placed ontop of a cake? With a huge honking rock? Maybe you could ask them for JUST the blown glass? 

…I just can’t imagine that sitting ontop of a cake without something awful happening. 

Post # 93
    1603 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

I’ve seen post 47 and still say no. You seem really determined to get it or something similar as your caketopper though, and I think you should just go with it. The honest truth is that it isn’t really most peoples taste. But it’s yours. So just do what you want.

Post # 94
    522 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: December 2014

@Chrysoberyl:  I would look/ask around and see if there’s anyone local who can make you one. There are more glassblowers out there than you might think, and many of them will happily make custom pieces and you wouldn’t have to worry about shipping.

Personally, the caketopper I adore is $200. I took a good long look at it and decided “I can make that!” because it’s made of wood and clay. Your dream caketopper isn’t exactly something you can make yourself, but you could definitely shop around.

And how to keep it out of kids’ hands? Put it on the mantle. I have yet to know a kid who actually cared about all the crap their parents keep on the mantle.

Post # 95
    9071 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2012

View original reply
    @Chrysoberyl:  Are fish your thing, or beachy stuff? If so, I could see 150. Personally I wouldn’t since I’m not interested in the theme, but if it screams “This is me!” I’d definitely do 150.

Post # 96
    982 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2014

@Chrysoberyl:  It’s nice, but no.  In the back of my mind, I’m going – it’s a cake topper.  However, I AM doing the glass unity ceremony for $350.  We’ll get a sculpture out of that too.  🙂

Post # 99
    7641 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2012

View original reply
    @Chrysoberyl:  I’d say $150 or less is reasonable if it is also counted as artwork that you can shove on shelf for years to come.

Post # 101
    97 posts
    Worker bee

@Chrysoberyl:  If you really love it, I say get it. It’s a lot of money but think of it this way- this is something you can pass down as a family heirloom. Not to mention this  serves as a piece of display art. If you want to put it into perspective,  you are spending $500 on art that you are using as a cake topper! 

Post # 103
    97 posts
    Worker bee

View original reply
    @Chrysoberyl:  I love both! You can always justify spending money on art! 😉

Post # 104
    281 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: December 2013

Just buy the damn thing and close this post. Sheesh.

Post # 105
    2195 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2017

I looked through some of the artist you posted work and some of it’s really beautiful, so I understand the idea of investing in a peice of art, I do think 500 is still too much though!
    I think the 2nd one is better both in price and look (but that’s a personal preference of course).

I would keep looking around, maybe it’s because I’m somewhat near the coast but you should be able to find something like that for under 100.

Some ideas:

http://www.prochaskagallery.com/hand-blown-glass-anchor/

http://www.keywestglassman.com/images0212/af202.jpg
    http://www.keywestglassman.com/images0212/com211lg.jpg
    http://www.keywestglassman.com/

Just ideas, maybe do some digging around just to make sure you’re getting the best deal for what you’re wanting. Another way could be to buy two blown glass fish/what have you for 20.00 each and have them next to each other, still saving money. But it comes down to are you wanting to invest in a peice of artwork / find the best price for that “look”. Art is so subjective only you can really decide if it’s worth it to you.

The topic ‘Would you spend 500 bucks on a cake topper?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors