- 2 years ago
- Wedding: November 2015 - City, State
Sure, lab diamonds are a great alternative. However, I’d be leery of the “ideal cuts” the vendors you listed are advertising. Many are far from it. Their pricing is also inflated. Another thing to consider is pricing will decrease as the technology continues to improve and become more widely available. Just look at what’s happened to moissanite. (This is not a knock on moissys, but to illustrate a point)
All this to say, it may benefit you to wait a bit but if you must trade to a lab now, give strong considerations to which vendor you choose. I’d look at vendors like August Vintage or Parks Fine Group as they offer more reasonable pricing and are innovating in specialty cuts too. Both are on IG.
I don’t get the whole point of this question. You’re asking if people in this forum would choose lab diamond over natural diamond. The majority responded they wouldn’t considering the small change in the look and because of several reasons like how they’re overpriced etc.
But it’s clear that you really wanna do it from the following posts. Why don’t you just go ahead and do it, then?
Well paying a difference is what people would call “losing money.”
If you break even doing this then go for it. If it costs you more in the long run but it’s an amount you can live with then go for it. If you can not afford to do this: then don’t until you can.
Thanks for the replies everyone! I found some lab diamonds with the specs I wanted that I saw videos of and also rate under 2 using the HCA tool so I’m going to try and do it.
I highly recommend D.NEA diamonds (email to get their full inventory, a lot is unlisted) which has a upgrade policy of any stone greater than the original purchase. This is the best upgrade policy I’ve seen on lab diamonds, and it was a pleasure to work with Eric.
Soha Diamonds was also a great choice, Aubree and Soha really know their stuff and will even video call you to compare two of any of the stones they source for you. They also do custom designs, and have a 200% upgrade policy (double the price of inital stone, but still, better than nothing).
I also purchased from BrilliantEarth, but ended up returning the stone as I was having doubts and Eric offered to send me a D.NEA stone that was ~$3000 LESS with better specs. I found identical stones (same IGI #) on BE, Soha, and D.NEA, and both Soha and D.NEA were always marginally cheaper than BE. The fact that they have no upgrade policy, and the recent shady lawsuits on their “ethically” sourced stones turned me away from them eventually.
No. But mine is a natural diamond that was my grandmothers. Small or not that is never going anywhere. I am however interested in someday getting a separate ring with a lab diamond after my sapphire project gets done. I think lab diamonds are pretty cool.
Yes, though if I were you i would wait since lab diamonds will probably go down in price.
MrsGirlyGirl : I would wait – another poster mention that lab diamonds are currently overpriced. To give you an idea, Lightbox sells a necklace with a 1 carat lab diamond for about 1000. Lab diamonds may decline enough in price where it would make more sense to buy it outright.
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I don’t find lab diamonds to be overpriced. If anything the natural diamond we bought was overpriced lol. I wish I would’ve been educated on lab diamonds before we bought mine. We could afford it at the time, and could afford to ugprade to a better color natural diamond for me even now, I just don’t want to sink anymore money into my ring to get exactly what I want when the same thing can be achieved with a lab diamond. I just texted my DH asking if he would be open to this whole idea so we’ll see. He is very traditional and only considered a natural diamond back when he proposed over 4 years ago now or whatever it was.
Welp I did it! My DH said he didn’t care what I did. He didn’t really understand how I’m able to sell my diamond and get one that’s bigger and with better specs but as long as it doesn’t cost us anything he doesn’t mind.
I spent a few hours online looking at several different stones. I was able to get a beautiful 1.5ct, ideal cut (1.0 HCA score) from Clean Origin and have plenty leftover. Diamond should be here by Monday. My setting is still at the place I sold my diamond to so that’ll take about 2 weeks to get back.