Would you tip $750?

posted 2 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 2
15 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: February 2020

I’m dating a wedding videographer and he says tips are not expected for that price point (bf charges 4000) 

but 100-200 tip is always nice.

Post # 3
3353 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

View original reply
glutton :  i wouldn’t expect to tip a photog 15-20%, as they are not making service wages (the 15-20% is for the service industry). I’d tip a photog $100. If you have 2, then $100 each. Our photog owned his own business, but we tipped the second shooter $100. 

Post # 4
4966 posts
Honey bee

Everything I have ever read is that photographers are not expected to get anything above and beyond their quoted package price.  However, if your photographers do not own the studio, then it is nice (but optional) to tip $50-200.

Post # 5
392 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
catskillsinjune :  Exactly this.  Tipping is to supplement a low wage.  Photographers make a pretty good income compared to a waitress.  A token tip for exceptional performance is nice but in general you’ve contracted for a service at an expected level of performance and that doesn’t require a tip.

Post # 7
3353 posts
Sugar bee

View original reply
glutton :  you can always tip later. But I’ll throw this in – unless they’ve fucked up, plan on tipping them about $100 each. While they’re not making server wage, they also aren’t setting their own wages and often work much harder than they’re being paid for. If you want, wait until the end of the night. But I’d default to a modest tip ($100/person) unless something goes horribly wrong. 

Post # 8
392 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
catskillsinjune :  By that logic, most people deserve tips no matter what their job since most of us work harder than we need to.

Post # 10
3353 posts
Sugar bee

View original reply
WallNut :  way to blow things out of proportion. 🙄 For most jobs and industries, tips are just not a thing, period. For some other jobs tips are the primary source of income for workers. And then there are jobs that fall into a middle ground where they’re not living entirely off of tip income, but tips are also pretty customary. I contend that wedding photography falls into this last category. Will you photog go hungry without a tip? No. But it’s kinda like wedding gifts – you’re not entitled to gifts from anyone, but there is a social  expectation that people give you a gift anyway; your photog isn’t entitled to a tip, but there’s a social expectation you’ll tip anyway if they’re not a business owner. 

View original reply
glutton :  OP, my recommendation (as I’ve said before) is to tip any photo/video that’s not the business owner unless they actually eff up. $100 a person. Do you HAVE to? No. But it is pretty nice to, and pretty customary to, even if not required. 

Post # 11
392 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
catskillsinjune :  We’re just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors