(Closed) Would you wear a black weddingdress? Pics & Poll

posted 10 years ago in Dress
  • poll: Would you wear a black weddingdress?

Yay

Nay

I can't decide if it's yay or nay

I would chose another color than white/black

• Post # 107
    875 posts
    Busy bee

The bride should wear what she wants. And if she just happens to wear a black dress, she should go for it. Personally, I couldn’t wear a black dress on my wedding day…it feels too somber to me. Also, many of the dresses posted, while beautiful, just don’t look like wedding dresses to me. It’s not so much that white is the only color that I think a bride should wear (after all, many Westerners consider red wedding dresses unlucky, while red is popular for brides in China and India); in fact, I could see myself wearing a light blue dress to my wedding if it happened to be “the dress”. I imagine some brides could pull off black, but I won’t be one of them.

Post # 108
    221 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

I wouldnt go with a black dress. If you really like those dresses, pick one up to wear to someone else’s wedding. But you only get married once and you may regret not doing it the traditional way. I think if you want some black, the white dress with the black is nice. Good luck!

Post # 109
    43 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: September 2012

while i do think the vera wang ones look gorgeous in black & probably show up the detail better in black, i still wouldn’t wear black as a wedding dress…the way i look at it, you can wear a black dress any time, but not a white (ivory etc.) one due to the wedding related connotations. so, no, i would definitely not wear a black wedding dress. of course, i don’t have a problem with them in general if it reflects the wearer’s sense of style.

Post # 110
    529 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2014

I love coloured wedding dresses, but not black. Too much like a grieving widow’s outfit sorry.

Post # 111
    109 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

I love them! However, I am not brave enough to rock one. I think traditions are silly sometimes and the idea of black doesn’t bother me at all. 

Post # 112
    652 posts
    Busy bee

I’ll be wearing an ivory colored dress because I’m 99% sure my SO will prefer and expect that. However, I really prefer gowns in other colors. I think th black dresses you posted are stunning. Most wedding dresses look like something that requires sprinkles and frosting and aren’t flattering. I’d prefer a darker dress, but whatever. We’re doing a lot of this stuff for our families and it wouldn’t be acceptable.

Post # 113
    77 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: February 2013

I’m all for wedding dresses that aren’t white.  If you like black and it’s a good color on you then I say go for it.  I want a blue dress because that’s my color that looks great on me.

Post # 115
    1481 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2012

I think black wedding dresses should stay on the runway where they belong. I think in theory it’s a fun idea, but in reality, you buy the white or ivory version of those awesome gowns. 

I read somewhere that Sarah Jessica Parker wore black on her wedding day and regretted it. 

Post # 116
    771 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

I look TERRIBLE in any shade of white/off white. It just makes me look washed out, since I’m so pale! Oddly enough though, black looks great on me and doesn’t give me a ‘goth’ look, especially with my hair and makeup done up corretly. There’s no way I’d wear a white/off white dress to my wedding, just because it would look terrible. I’m considering a silver/ice blue dress, or even a navy dress, and wouldn’t rule out a black dress, but a black dress probably wouldn’t be my first choice.

Post # 117
    103 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: February 2013

i am completely in love with the vw black dresses. the problem is i wear black a lot, like nearly every day. i am wearing an ivory dress, as i figure i will never again wear another one, i would never wear a white party dress, t-shirt, skirt or other so its my only chance to do it.

Post # 118
    1797 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

I am actually very suprised that I picked out and liked an ivory wedding dress.  I guess I was inspired by the Fiance excitement of seeing me as a “bride.”  That being said, after the first dance and cake cutting I will be slipping into a black cocktail dress and black fluffy veil :):) 

Our theme is Dia de los Muertos.  I’m the president of a horror movie club.  I am not gothic at all but I am pretty offbeat.  I will be a corpse bride!!!  I had to promise everyone I wasn’t having a halloween wedding.  Doesn’t mean I can’t wear black 🙂 🙂

Post # 119
    11 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: October 2012

Sigh…..I so wanted to wear a black dress. I found a gorgeous one too but for fear of family members having a heart attack I stayed traditional. I was told in Spain brides wear a black dress and it means ’til death do us part’. That was going to be my excuse.

Post # 120
    214 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: December 2017

I would LOVE to, but I don’t have the guts 😛

Post # 121
    985 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

@ozpeony:  me too! i do wish i had gone for something oatmeal coloured maybe though? lol

The topic ‘Would you wear a black weddingdress? Pics & Poll’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors