(Closed) If wearing any color dress was “normal” would you still wear white?

posted 10 years ago in Dress
  • poll: IF it were normal to wear ANY color wedding dress, would you still choose a white dress?
    Yes : (28 votes)
    24 %
    No : (62 votes)
    53 %
    Not Sure : (28 votes)
    24 %
  • Post # 17
    2194 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: January 2013

Nope, I wouldn’t. If the custom were to just pick a fabulous dress in any color, I’d go for something floor-length in a seafoam green.  I’ve always wanted to wear something floor-length and floaty but heavily beaded in that color.

Post # 18
    5282 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: October 2009

Haha! I think I’m one of the only people to say yes 🙂

White is my favorite color, I think it is GORGEOUS! And I think I look good in white because I have tan skin and dark hair.

Post # 19
    9 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: October 2011

I am wearing Maggie Sottero’s Vogue Royale in the antique gold. I am of Irish descent and am very fair. I never had any intention, ever, of wearing white. And honestly, the details in white dresses get lost because white is a flat color. Look into designer’s that have other color options.

Post # 20
    22 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: December 2010

Well I look awful in white too which is why I’m going for pillarbox red – red is a happy colour, and I want my wedding to feel like a party! I haven’t had a single negative response about this choice.  Besides, the white wedding dress has only been a tradition since Queen Victoria wore a white dress and the style caught on – previously brides wore their best dress, whatever colour it was.

Post # 21
    883 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

I would definitely go for color, I think the white makes the dress decision even harder!

Post # 22
    2015 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2009

I really didn’t want to wear the white dress, but I mentioned to my mom wearing a plum purple dress, and she flipped out. So I wore a white one.

If colors were the norm, I would have wanted a rich plum dress, or possible even a black one.

Post # 24
    394 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

light peach all the way – it looks GREAT on my skin ;P I almost bought a dress with brown and blue flowers on it but Fiance disagreed 9_9 Men.

Post # 25
    144 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: November 2011

yeah im tanned and i like how i look in white/ivory, its actually a 1 of 4 of my favourite colours.. yellow/teal/white/green (in that order) 

Post # 26
    144 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: November 2011

View original reply
    @MadameLady: lol funny, my first dress was gold/peachy, and the only reason i didnt like it was because i had a change of heart of the shape of dress i wanted to wear.. so i dont know maybe i wouldnt go with white maybe i would, i was definitly more drawn to white when i started trying on dresses again

Post # 27
    5822 posts
    Bee Keeper

Nopety nope.  If I could have worn blue and not been gasped at, I would of course have gone with the jewel tone.  I hate white/pastels.  They wash me out.

Post # 28
    1535 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

It’s hard to answer this question because if you really think about it, our thoughts and feelings about things are usually based on the “norms” that our society holds. Those norms define our decisions and influence our likes and dislikes. I like being traditional when it comes to weddings so of course I want a white/ivory dress. That being said, I look much better in other colors, so hypothetically speaking, if white/ivory wasn’t the norm then I don’t think I’d be wearing it because I like other colors (purple, pink, green, etc.) better.

Unfortunately white/ivory IS the norm and IS traditional so that sways my decision a lot. I say all the power to you if you want to wear another color, but it’s not for me.

Post # 30
    1568 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: March 1996

I’ve never chosen a white dress for any formal event I’ve attended, so I doubt I would think of wearing a white dress if that weren’t the norm for a wedding. With my pale skin, white isn’t the best of all colors for me. But I love my ivory dress and I am glad that there is the tradition of the bride wearing white, so I could have the fun of feeling like I was doing something special and different to mark that day as being unlike any other dress-up occasion. And it looked fantastic.

Post # 31
    2280 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

If white weren’t the tradition, I probably would have chosen an emerald green dress a la Keira Knightley in Atonement, or maybe a more romantic pink/peach dress. 🙂

The topic ‘If wearing any color dress was “normal” would you still wear white?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors