- 6 years ago
- Wedding: October 2012
So happy to finally have finished my brooch bouquet! I started collecting my bits over 6 months ago and little by little have worked towards the finished product. Don’t ask how many brooches and bits I have on there, but I spent over $400(AU) on ebay and at little shops. Lots of my bits also came of headbands, clips and other findings.
Here are some of my tips for anyone trying their own…
- I used a dry foam ball (16cm) in the end and cut the top off – it was WAY easier than wiring each stem and doing in the ‘bunch’ style! Trust me I tried both but just couldn’t get it round with the free form. Also I found the heavier brooches started to bend the wires over time and it lost its shape even more…
- GLUE GUN IS YOUR FRIEND. I need not say any more. But make sure you work quickly with it as it sets super fast.
- Take your time and don’t rush, trust me you won’t be happy in the end unless its just right so do a little by little.
- Give consideration to how you are going to cover the underneith (all the ugly bits) as I found it harder than I thought. In the end I bought some satin fabric and doubled it over, got some thread and gathered it like a scrunchy. If you satin frays like mine did (I had to redo it) use clear nail polish along the edge, its magic!
- Also give thought to the bottom of the handle before you start wrapping the handle with ribbon (which I forgot till later).
- I used a cardboard roll from my empty papertowel for the handle and wraped it in lots of electic tape to stiffen it up
Umm I think thats about the main pointers – have fun! It is not a cheap project and takes a little bit of time to get just right… but such a rewarding feeling when you’re finished 🙂 Can’t wait to put it to good use! Hope you all like it too