(Closed) You want $5000 just to take pictures!?

posted 8 years ago in Photos/Videos
Post # 3
695 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Hahaha! I just posted a similar thread trying to find out about average costs. We’ve been quoted $3000-$4800 for just all day coverage so far.

Post # 4
14183 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

Haha yep…if they’re good, $5,000 is a reasonable price.

Post # 5
2006 posts
Buzzing bee

If that price is ONLY to take pictures of your reception (i.e. no engagement shoot, no prints, no CD of images, etc) then I would say that is a bit ridiculous even for a great photographer. But if it includes more than just taking pictures, and her work is really good, I don’t think that is way overpriced.

Post # 6
Hostess
18637 posts
Honey Beekeeper

Most photographers are not just taking pictures.  You are getting their talent with composing a good picture and photo processing.  You can pay less for a photographer who gives you unedited images but if they are not good at taking pictures, you might not be happy with the results.

Post # 7
2204 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Unfortunately, $5k doesn’t surprise me at all… And with a Destination Wedding, they probably calculated in traveling costs

Post # 9
Hostess
18637 posts
Honey Beekeeper

I would look for a student photographer at a local school or something.  They can probably take pictures for a lot less since they are just building their portfolio.

Post # 10
2204 posts
Buzzing bee

Where is your wedding going to be?

Post # 12
14183 posts
Honey Beekeeper

For $500 you may be able to get a shoot and burn. As in, the photographer takes photos, burns them directly onto a disc, and hands it over =

Post # 13
2204 posts
Buzzing bee

Oh oh, sorry just re-read, for your hometown wedding, not Destination Wedding.

Maybe you should talk to her about your expectations….are you having a small wedding? Maybe talk to her about pricing for a small photoshoot, not a full traditional package? She might be thinking that it is a full reception…traditional wedding?? I don’t know.

You could try to give your budget and see what she can do but I honestly don’t know what you can get for $500 for photography.

Post # 14
2476 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

Well, we’re paying $5500 but that includes our e-session, 8 hours of wedding-day coverage, a second photog, online proof gallery, 650 high-res 4×6 professional prints, a wedding album, all high-res images on CD.  Plus we LOVE our photographer– she’s super talented and sweet. 

I think $5000 is a bit much JUST for her to shoot your reception.  I agree that you can look into hiring a student or someone who is just starting off. 

Post # 15
186 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

$5,000 is a lot, $500 is way too little.

Here in Canada 6 hours with 2 photographers (one pro, one assistant) is about $2,200 and I think that’s pretty average. I thought that was a lot too, but I also understand there is a lot of work editing the images and also you are paying for the experience etc. 

Post # 16
27 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I’m from Maine too and I think that sounds like a lot for what you’re getting. If you were getting the whole shebang then the price would make more sense. 

The topic ‘You want $5000 just to take pictures!?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors