Your 2016 recap. What have you done this year?

posted 3 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 16
1958 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: February 2016

January – we finalised wedding stuff and Darling Husband failed his final exam (again). I was so sure he was going to pass, so we were a little disappointed that he couldn’t use the honeymoon as a ‘yey married and no more exams’. Mum (who had never broken a bone before) breaks her ankle 5 weeks before the wedding.

February – Our parents finally all meet two days before the wedding. Mum goes to the hospital and is out of cast for the wedding but is wearing a leg brace, she’s told not to dance at the wedding but she does anyway (but nothing bad happens). We get married. My grandad not only surprises me by surviving until the wedding, he’s also lucid and stays awake until midnight when we’re all able to wish him and grandma a happy anniversary. My aunt is in remission from cancer and dances all night long.

March – we were on honeymoon for most of it.

April – Darling Husband starts studying again. My aunt’s cancer came back just as she was about to start work again. She has an operation and the prognosis looks good.

May – Darling Husband takes his exam. Aunts cancer has advanced and is incurable but treatable, she has years according to the oncologist.

June – my aunt dies suddenly. I manage to make it to my family on the other side of the country in time. Two people at work, sitting within 5m of my desk also suffer close bereavements and that feeds into my grief.

July – Darling Husband passes exam and we go away for a weekend of walking, cakes and alcohol.

August – we adopt a hamster, she’s meant to be the beta-testing for a puppy but she grows on us and we want another when she goes. We decide to delay buying a house until next year even though our neighbour calls the police on us (it was completely made up).

September – we take some days off and go to the seaside. I’ve been at my job for a year and I realise I don’t want to waste another year here.

October – we ignore what we said in August and start looking at houses. We have an offer accepted in late October.

November – mainly house stuff. We find out we’re going to be an aunt and uncle next year.

December – house stuff (hoping to move in just after the new year) and Christmas stuff.

I don’t think I can say this year has been a happy year despite all the happy things we’ve done. It’s been a bit of a mixed bag. The only thing that happened as we thought it would at the beginning of the year was the wedding and honeymoon (and even some things went wrong on the day too). So I think that this year has really emphasised that circumstances change all the time and nothing really goes to plan.

Post # 17
969 posts
Busy bee

Jan -> June – Wedding planning

June – Got married

July – Honeymoon

August – Miscarriage #1

September – Mum in hospital

October – Husband lost job whilst in the process of buying our house

November – Miscarriage #2, Mum operation, completed on house (thankfully)

December – Mum cancer diagnosis, Grandma died

I really hope 2017 is a better year!! Other than the wedding it was completely awful…

Post # 18
1150 posts
Bumble bee

iamali :  wow, you did have a tough year.  That is a whole lot to bear in your first year of marriage.  I hope 2017 is easier on you and you’re able to enjoy some of a “honeymoon phase” that you probably feel you were robbed of.

Post # 19
587 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2016

I honestly don’t know how all you all can remember the highlights of each month from a whole year! But then again, my memory has turned to crap from stress/sleep deprivation… So here goes: 

Moved into my first apt with Fiance

Out-of-state childhood friend came to visit for a week

Sister got pregnant

Took a trip across state to see another friend, flew to Colorado, drove back with my sister through seven states

Visited brother 

Sister stayed for a month

Family came and stayed for a week over thanksgiving 

Got engaged !

Wedding planning 

Now Christmas shopping/celebrating/etc 

December is always a full month though cause of Christmas, our anniversary, my birthday, and then New Years !

Might seem like a lot, but spread out over a whole year makes me realize how little time I spend with family/friends, work and financial stress literally dominated my life right now, it’s miserable. 

Post # 20
1012 posts
Bumble bee

This year I:

Resigned from my job I was at for 4.5 years and started a new job at a startup

Went to Ireland

Went to Aruba

Took care of my niece and nephew overnight by myself

The startup collapsed and I quit that job

Job searched for for five months

Bought a new car

Designed and bought my engagement ring

Paid off all of my credit card debt

Got a job offer last week (!!)

Made the decision to move closer to my new job

And we’re going to visit family for the holidays.

Next year will be buying a place, getting engaged, and jumping into my new job!

Post # 21
4233 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2015 - Hotel Ballroom

The two noteworthy things about this year are getting pregnant, and this being the first year I have 100% succeeded at my New Year resolutions 🙂

Post # 22
2635 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

We had a big year:

Jan: Went to a bridal show with my mom

Feb: we moved in together for the first time- and we love the townhome we are renting

June: I got a pretty big raise at work after a really good yearly review

July: I had an amazing bridal shower

August: Awesome camping trip at a local state park

Sep: we got married

Oct: Honeymoon in Hawaii

Nov/Dec: Lots of fun times with our families for the holidays

Post # 23
969 posts
Busy bee

passthepeas :  can’t believe I’ve not imploded yet to be honest. Not cried properly about my Grandma yet, literally run outta tears for this year. Thank you tho – I really hope so too. At least it can’t really get any (or much) worse! 🙂

Post # 24
311 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2016

Waow and I thought I had a full year! Mine went something like this

We got married: We had been engaged since September of 2015 but in January decided to not wait, and scrap big wedding plan and planned and intimate 12 people wedding for May.  It was magical and i wish i could just keep the memory as alive as possible. We then celebrated with a big BBQ for all of our friends in the summer. 

We honeymooned in the part of the world im from: we waited until August for our honeymoon, and went to Croatia & Slovenia for a month. Where we sailed a boat, paraglided, and went for a hot air balloon ride. 

I got my license: It only took 14 years to do…So after all these years of putting it off it felt like a huge accomplishment.

Bought a house as first time homeowners: we are currently living in boxes and packing as we won’t be moving into our new house until January, but we are just so happy about how everything panned out. 

Did an elimination diet: this is huge for me as I didn’t eat dairy and wheat for 3 months (both things I love) for medical reasons. And although I should not eat it anymore, I decided to take a break from the elimination for the holidays….my stomach is not happy about it though.

Post # 25
6800 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2016

So this was my year, month by month:

January:

• Had my awesome bachelorette party!
  • Bridal shower #1 (I only wanted 1 total but friend insisting on throwing one as well)

February:

• Nothing much…my husband had his bachelor party and birthday

March:

• Bridal shower #2
  • My birthday
  • Good friend’s surprise engagement + engagement party

April:

• GOT MARRIED!!! (in Puerto Rico)
  • Have a little mini-moon in Puerto Rico

May:

• Went camping
  • Tons of little annoying things that added up to big bucks spent like…
    • Cat got sick
    • Hot water heater broke
    • Rotted out the pipes

June:

• Have amazing at-home reception (outdoors on the hottest day of the year but oh well!)

July:

• Nothing much…dad had hernia surgery

August:

• Big annual family picnic

September:

• Went camping again
  • 2 WEEK HONEYMOON IN EUROPE!!

October:

• Halloween (our favorite holiday)
  • Went to my first ever Cubs PLAYOFF game

November:

• Cubs win the WORLD SERIES!!!
  • Last minute travel to Louisiana to help out a friend
  • Thanksgiving
  • Weekend getaway to Kalamazoo

December:

• Christmas prep! Christmas prep! Christmas prep!

Wow, this year has gone by so fast!!! And I’m sure there’s stuff I’ve forgotten about too. Not to mention all the time I spent each month planning our wedding and honeymoon.

Next on the agenda: get our house on the market and find a new place 🙂

Post # 26
5121 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: December 2014

January:

• I started my postdoctoral fellowship (after getting my PhD in December). My first time not being a student since I was 4 years old.
  • We started talking to a mortgage broker and realtor about getting approved for a home loan.

February:

• We got preapproved for a mortgage
  • Darling Husband lost his job the same day as preapproval
  • Darling Husband got a new job 
  • We went under contract on a house

March:

• Darling Husband started his new job
  • Still under contact for house

April:

• Got our latest wiener dog, Frank.
  • Closed on our house.

May:

• Moved into our first home.

June-September:

• Nothing much. Setting up the house.

October: 

• Darling Husband started a new job, same company, different location.

November-December:

• Holiday stuff, my parents visiting.

Post # 27
1158 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

This year I/we: adopted our 2nd dog, celebrated 1 year in our house, went to NYC, went to Chicago, got married, went on our honeymoon to Orlando, ran a 10k, booked our trip to Ireland for the spring, celebrated 2 years at my job! 

Post # 28
582 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2017

It’s been an exceptional year for my fiance and I. He changed police departments and is now employed by my employer is a safer part of our city. We bought our first home ! And finally, we took our first vacation together that didn’t include family or the Jersey shore! 

Post # 29
275 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

Renovated and moved into our first home. Got a raise and bonus 3 months into my first salaried position. Participated in multiple musical theater productions at a community theater after a year hiatus. Traveled for work for the first time. Was a bridesmaid in a friend’s summer wedding. Went to New England with then-BF for the first time, which was also our first trip with just the two of us. That same trip, Fiance proposed a day after my 24th birthday. Booked the wedding venue, DoC, photographer, and DJ. Fiance got a promotion. Got back to my high school weight after being at my heaviest. Received a holiday bonus. Got a new roof and garage door on our house. Reached my first work anniversary with my current company. Will celebrate our 8th dating anniversary next week.

On the whole, a pretty productive and positive year for me personally. 

Post # 30
549 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: Backyard

In January, we spent a weekend in the mountains for our one year local anniversary  (we were long distance for 9 months before that) and got engaged that weekend.

In March, I started a new job.

In July, my husband started a new job and upgraded from a bicycle to a scooter.

In August, we got married!!!

In October, my husband upgraded from a scooter to a car. We got a Fiat 500.

In November, I started taking classes for a certification.

A couple weeks ago, my husband had a new position created just for him at his job, which is something he had been requesting for a few months. 

We worked on wedding planning from January to August. We had a picnic themed wedding, so a big part of this was going to antique stores and flea markets to search for picnic baskets then taking each one on a picnic.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors