(Closed) Your Gyno or your PCP?

posted 6 years ago in TTC
Post # 3
11325 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2011

Gyno. Unless you have health problems with your pregnancy, your gyno will probably see you through your pregnancy (or refer you to an OB if they dont’ do both)

Post # 4
1137 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

If you have a Gyno/OB, you’d go to them. In my case, I didn’t have one yet and always used my PCP for everything (including my cryotherapy). I went to them to get a blood test to confirm and a few recommendations on practices in the area.


Post # 5
5977 posts
Bee Keeper

I agree…go to your gyno. If they aren’t an OB, they’ll have better referrals to OBs. 

Post # 7
9142 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

Gyno.  The only thing your PCP is going to do is order a blood test and then refer you over to your Gyno.  That said, some ladies have figured out that they can get an appointment for a blood test with their PCP faster than with their Gyno; if that’s the case I would set up an appointment with the Gyno for 7-8 weeks which is generally the time they bring you in for your first official appointment and if you can get an appointment with your PCP for a blood test prior to that then do that.  Depending on your relationship with your PCP, you may be able to get him/her to order the blood work without even having to go into the office.

Post # 8
5109 posts
Bee Keeper

@Ugoob:  Either or. If you don’t want that gyno to do your OB care, make it with your family doc, then ask for a referral to another OB. If you’re established with that OB, you can try calling and making an appointment, but some offices will require a referral. Unless of course if you have a PPO you can go where you want =)

ETA:  Some family doctors do 1st and 2nd trimester OB care, so if you love your family doc, ask if they do that! They transfer you to an OB at 28 weeks. =)

The topic ‘Your Gyno or your PCP?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors