(Closed) Your Real Feelings about STD’s..Are they really 100 percent necessary?

posted 11 years ago in Paper
  • poll: Do you really feel Save the Date Announcements are Necessary? What are you sending?

1)engagement announcement and 2) STD and 3) invitation

1)engagement announcement and 2)invitation

1)Save the Date and 2)Invitation

1)Invitation only!

• Post # 3
    1514 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2009

I don’t think STDs are neccessary unless a lot of people are from out of town or you’re traveling.  If there are only a few, I’d notify them personally to hold the date.

Post # 4
    2007 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2009

I think the only time STDs are necessary are when your guests need the extra time to prepare (long distance, costly, etc.)  I know when we sent them out we had a couple people think that they were the actual invitation and wanted to know why it didn’t have all the information! 

In your case, I think an engagement announcement and an official invitation would be perfect. 

Post # 5
    4464 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: June 2010

We’re doing a save-the-date and an invite.  We have a lot of people coming from out of town, and also we’ve been engaged for a really long time, so a lot of people have forgotten what the date is.

Post # 7
    5262 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: June 2012

Agreed that they aren’t necessary for a small wedding where word of mouth will work. They’re nice for weddings with a lot of out of town guests, or bigger weddings where it’ll be harder to track the guest list. They can also be a fun way to share an engagement photo or a link to your wedding website, but absolutely not a must for every situation. 

Post # 8
    5262 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: June 2012

By the way, I have seen a lot of the STDs that have wording along the lines of what (I thinK) you’re thinking. Like, “We’re tying the knot!” Or, “she said yes” or simply “i do.” as well as cute ones where the couple is holding a series of signs announcing it. You can easily do wording other than just “save the date” so that it can double as an e announcement.

Post # 9
    2472 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2010

I personally think STDs are somewhat blown out of proportion and are often just an added unneccessary expense.  The only reason I am doing them is because we have a lot of out of town guests.  Since they aren’t that important to me, I’m not going to get carried away and spend a lot of money on them.

Post # 10
    10216 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 2010

I don’t think they are neccessary unless you are getting married on a holiday weekend.  They are just a new trend that people like. I definitely won’t be doing them either.  I like the idea of an engagement announcement, but I would think if you were using them for both they’d have to only be given to people invited to the wedding?  I am more in favor of sending out a wedding announcement after the wedding if something had to be sent out..

Post # 11
    5282 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: October 2009

Personally I don’t think they are necessary, and IMO more likely to get thrown away then the actual wedding invitation.

With the way everyone connects now days, announcements are spread through phone calls, emails, e-vites, etc. So its much easier to give everyone notice, including the out of towners, advanced notice.

BUT, I do think STDs are super cute & can help to set a tone for your wedding.

Post # 12
    6571 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: February 2010

i think it depends on the situation, like others have said. if it’s a destination wedding, or on a holiday weekend where people will be busy, than i think it’s a good idea. i didn’t do anything but the invite because it’s not a busy weekend, i’m not expecting a lot of out of towners to come, and my mom and mil have been spreading the word for the date anyway so those who do need to fly already know and have their flights/hotels set.

Post # 13
    768 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: January 2010

I’m sending STDs and invitations because a big charity event is going on that weekend, so I wanted to give guests a heads up before they made plans. However, STDs are totally not necessary.

Post # 14
    388 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: August 2009

It’s in my experience that the STD acts as an engagement announcement if a formal one isn’t sent out. Usually on the magnet/card/etc. I’ve received it says “We’re getting married!” and then goes on to give info about the wedding. I’ve never been sent an engagement announcement, a STD, and an invite. That seems like overkill.

Hope this helps.

Post # 15
    1084 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2009

We sent out announcements by email then a paper invite.

Post # 16
    2394 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: April 2010

We’re doing them.  Almost all of our guests are from out of town and we’re asking them to travel to one of the most expensive cities in the country.  The more advance notice possible, I think, the better.

The topic ‘Your Real Feelings about STD’s..Are they really 100 percent necessary?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors