(Closed) Your Real Feelings about STD’s..Are they really 100 percent necessary?

posted 11 years ago in Paper
  • poll: Do you really feel Save the Date Announcements are Necessary? What are you sending?

1)engagement announcement and 2) STD and 3) invitation

1)engagement announcement and 2)invitation

1)Save the Date and 2)Invitation

1)Invitation only!

• Post # 17
    545 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: December 1969

We didn’t do any engagement announcement.  It wasn’t necessary as words travel in the family and FB did the most for friends and also made personal phone calls to people.   We originally were going to skip it or just do an email STD, but now since ordering from Vistaprint is cheap, I am thinking of going that route, as all of my guests are from out of state anyway and our wedding is on the formal side.  If situations were different, i.e. everyone is local and it’s a casual wedding, I’d definitely just skip it or just do email.

Post # 18
    3563 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

I also am not sure that STDs are necessary, unless, and pp said, your wedding is on a holiday weekend or you have mainly Out of Town guests. I was going back and forth on whether to do STDs, since we have neither–not a holiday weekend, and most guests are local. However, my Fiance surprisingly had a strong reaction–he DEFINITELY wants to do STDs!! Color me surprised! But since he feel so strongly about them, I guess we’re doing them!

Post # 19
    472 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2010

We’re sending our STDs out today.  So many of our guests are traveling (from Florida, Bermuda, New York, Denver, etc) that we felt they were needed.  We also sent out engagement notices to ten or so relatives that live far away and most likely wouldn’t hear about it any other way.  But we only need a bout 35 invitations, etc. and I created them myself, so money-wise it’s not a big deal. 

Post # 20
    400 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2010 - Marie Gabrielle, Dallas

Definitely not necessary, but so fun to do!  It felt like a mini-invitation for me, and like, wow everyone knows we are getting married now.  Although, they probably did before, it made it more real because we were “inviting” people.  We do have a lot of out of town guests, but they are in touch frequent enough that I could have just made a phone call or sent an email.  That would not have been as fun for me though. 🙂

Post # 21
    599 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2009

I think a STD is a good idea if you’re having a long engagement. In our case though, we got engaged 5 months before the wedding, exactly. So we just sent invites because we thought a STD and then an invite a couple weeks later would be a waste of time and money.

But we were also totally unaware of the concept of sending invites only two month before-hand. I think ours were all out by mid-May! Gave people a lot of time to decide though.

Post # 23
    1045 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: January 2008

I just did invites, and skipped the STDs.  Everyone who was really “critical” knew the date anyway, and for the others, I thought the normal eight weeks was plenty of notice.  I say save the money and hassle!  🙂

Post # 24
    2280 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

I couldn’t care less about STDs. Even if I were indulging in a nice long engagement, I don’t see myself bothering to make or buy them. The parents will probably want to put an engagement announcement in the papers, but I’d be just as happy using word of mouth and standard invitations!

Post # 25
    246 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: November 2009

The only reason I did STDs is because i’m having a destination wedding, otherwise I probably would have stuck to invitations only. But i do think if you’re having a destination wedding or simply have a lot of guests that will need to travel to your location, then it is a nice for the guests to plan for that travel.

Post # 26
    3124 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: December 2009

i like STD’s but don’t feel they’re necessary.  We didn’t have them.  We are having a Destination Wedding so we just sent out the invites early so that people could make their arrangements at their leisure.  Turned out to backfire a bit though, b/c of changing circumstances or simply changes of mind.  Nothing you choose will work out perfectly, so may as well go with your gut and stick with your pretty invites.

Post # 27
    1489 posts
    Bumble bee

STDS necessary? Heck no! I wish we hadn’t sent them. It’s better closer to the fact when you know your guest list more definitively. We sent engagement announcements and I highly recommend a touch of old fashioned grace in this world of facebook.

Post # 28
    157 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: April 2010

We are doing save the dates and an invitation. The majority of our guests will be coming from out of town, and we wanted people to have enough time to get good deals on flights, account for travel/vacation time, etc. I had a friend design them and got them printed at a local printer. We wanted to do thermography, but our printer convinced us the difference was marginal, so we went with flat printed on thick cardstock. Including envelopes and postage, I think we spent about $150.

Post # 29
    4765 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: January 2011 - Vintage Villas

I definitely don’t think they’re necessary, but I just want something to do! I’ve got so much time until the wedding that I need a project that I can get done this early! Smile

Post # 30
    80 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

Definitely necessary in our situation.  Our friends and families are scattered on either end of the east coast (literally- Maine to Georgia and everywhere in between), and we are getting married in our adopted Ohio!  We are sending out STDs so that our favorite people in the world can make plans to be with us even though it may be considerable expense/travel.  STDs also serve a couple of extra purposes in our case:

*We get to share our engagement photos

*We are combining STDs with holiday cards to kill 2 birds with one stone

*We can ‘practice’ getting everyone’s addresses correct before the time sensitive invites go out.

We are not, however, going to spend a lot on them.  Maybe a semi-DIY project even?  We’ll see… 🙂

Post # 31
    687 posts
    Busy bee

I would do a STD/announcment as one and an invitation to follow. The Boy and I both come from large families that are spread across the country and would need to give anyone expected to travel as much advanced notice as possible.

If everyone was local, I wouldn’t bother.

The topic ‘Your Real Feelings about STD’s..Are they really 100 percent necessary?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors