(Closed) Your Real Feelings about STD’s..Are they really 100 percent necessary?

posted 11 years ago in Paper
  • poll: Do you really feel Save the Date Announcements are Necessary? What are you sending?
    1)engagement announcement and 2) STD and 3) invitation : (2 votes)
    2 %
    1)engagement announcement and 2)invitation : (5 votes)
    4 %
    1)Save the Date and 2)Invitation : (71 votes)
    63 %
    1)Invitation only! : (35 votes)
    31 %
  • Post # 32
    3226 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: October 2010

I think we’ll be doing Save the Dates (MAYBE) and Invitations. I think STD are cute, but by no means are they necessary!

Post # 33
    2022 posts
    Buzzing bee

I like STDs (hehe) – our schedules are so hectic, that we tend to book up fast, particularly in the summer!  Also, DH needs lots of advanced warning to get time off, so the more notice we have, the better.  It also clears any confusion among your guests who may be wondering if they will be invited!

Post # 34
    5150 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: June 2010

I like save-the-dates (I sent them and I like recieving them!) because they give you a lot of advanced warning time. However, in your personal case I think you may be able to get away with not doing it…if you wedding is small and you arn’t having a long engagement then an announcement or party and invitations to follow would suffice. Just let the relatives who might need to travel farther know with plenty of time.

Post # 35
    65 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: June 2008

I sent STDs, but I do not think they are absolutely necessary.  If you have a lot of people travelling far for the wedding then they are helpful so that they can make travel plans- but you can spread the word jsut as easily via word of mouth.

Post # 36
    1230 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2010

I don’t think they are necessary and I’m not sending them out. The only time I think they might be necessary is if you are having your wedding over a holiday weekend or if you are having a lot of out of town guests. Otherwise, I think they are an added expense that you don’t need.

Post # 37
    2767 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2009

I wasn’t going to send STDs at all.  I thought they were pointless.  But then we got such cute engagement photos taken and my mom wanted to share them with everyone.  So we made engagement photo STD postcards.  They turned out really nicely and didn’t cost that much to make.  (Sign up for Vistaprint’s email mailing list and then make oversized photo postcards when they have them for free and free photo uploads).  

So we pretty much just had to pay for shipping the postcards from Vistaprint to us, and then for the postage out to people (which was like 80 cents per card since the cards were oversized).

In the end I was glad we sent them.  Everyone seemed to like seeing our engagement photos.  I would not have sent them if they didn’t have some purpose (like sharing our photos with family).  

Post # 38
    128 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: April 2010

I personally had never heard of STD until I went onto forums and websites. I have been to maybe 10 weddings and they never had STD. So I guess that it’s more the norm in the States.

Post # 39
    14181 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2009

I didn’t think STD”s were necessary. Everyone knew when we got engaged and we had a 13 month engagement. Honestly, they are cute, but when I looked at the cost of them, I just wanted to allocate the extra $100 elsewhere, so I felt they were kind of a waste of money in our situation. We got married 30 minutes from where we live. OTherwise I think they’re cool and have a purpose. I feel as though everyone who knows you and loves you and who would be invited to the wedding is going to find out personally anyways! We sent our inbitations out 12 weeks early instead of 8, though to compensate for not having STDs.

Post # 40
    6593 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: August 2010

I wouldn’t be doing them if I didn’t have too!

The majority of our guests are from out of town and I want them to be able to book the weekend off and book the hotel in good time!

If you don’t need them don’t do them!

Post # 41
    2889 posts
    Sugar bee

I voted STD and invitation but we only did STDs because the vast majority of our guests will need to travel to our wedding. That said, after ours went out, I really didn’T think it was necessary as we had spoken to friends who would need to travel and they already saved the date over a year in advance as they were trying to determine if they would make the trip and planning vacation days, flights, etc. I think if your guest list is small enough that you will talk to people it’s not really necessary. Also, I’ve never recieved an engagement announcement. I  seem to find out my friends are engaged either per phone call or Facebook depending on our level of closeness.

Post # 42
    1675 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2010

I don’t think they’re necessary, but certainly helpful. In our case, it seems like everyone is getting married right now. For example, we attended seven weddings this past summer. So, with all that going on, it’s helpful to know what weekends to book off, especially if there’s travel involved.

Our wedding’s in October of 2010 and we’ll be sending out STDs out with our Christmas cards this year.

Post # 43
    624 posts
    Busy bee

We did STD’s and invites and I don’t think STD’s are necessary and neither is a website, as I have learned 🙂 

We’ve already sent out our invites and people still don’t know when it is.

The topic ‘Your Real Feelings about STD’s..Are they really 100 percent necessary?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors