- 4 years ago
- Wedding: November 2013
So I’m just curious to the different ideas/opinions people might have on homeschool or online school.
My son currently attends traditional school (he goes to a Spanish immersion school)….but there are many reasons why I think homeschool or online school might be a better options at times.
Here are some of my preliminary thoughts on why I like homeschool:
1. There are almost 30 kids in my son’s class. That’s a lot of kids- all with different learning styles. His school used to go to 6th grade, but now it only goes to 5th. In all honestly, I’m not sure if this is because they choose to make all middle school to include 6th grade- or because schools are simply over-crowded.
2. I had tears in my eyes last year when he came home and cheerfully explained they practiced “lockdown” at school that day. I obviously understand why, but it’s upsetting that the world has come to this.
3. My son is smart. But what if he would benefit even more by learning at his own pace (whether that’s faster or slower)- and in his own way>
4. Kids are going to get sick…..I get that. But it’s super annoying when so many people send thier kids to an overcrowded classroom when they are already sick, simply because it’s more convenient for them. I know some places of employment are to blame- but find other care for your children. Or put your foot down with your employer. My last employer was as a$$hole when it came to leaving or taking time off for my kid when he was sick- but I put my foot down logically and he backed off.
5. This one is just an honest, selfish reason- but I would LOVE to spend more time with my kiddo. He’s gone all day (til 4pm), and I feel like it’s bedtime right after he walks in the door.
Reasons I am for traditional school:
1. Because he currently attends an immersion school, he’s learning a second language. Self-explanatory.
2. I don’t have a degree in teaching. I’m smart- and I feel like I have a lot to offer for my kid. But I don’t teach for a living.
3. I really like his teacher!
4. Obviously I think it’s good that he socializes at school. That said- there are many other ways to socialize kids besides attending school.
These are not my complete thoughts– but a starter list on both sides.