(Closed) Zika and TTC in next 2 years – WWYD?

posted 3 years ago in TTC
  • poll: Would you go knowing you'd want to TTC 6 months later?
    Yes I'd still go. : (34 votes)
    61 %
    No I wouldn't risk it : (22 votes)
    39 %
  • Post # 16
    732 posts
    Busy bee

    Do you have to make a descision now?  May is still far off.  Can you wait and see if the situation changes closer to time?  And just communicate that to your brother?

    Post # 17
    87 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: October 2027

    Go, and wait the recommended 6 months. Sure, the recommendation could change, but you could also find out tomorrow the laundry detergent you use or your city’s tap water could affect your pregnancy. You can’t live your life in fear. 

    Post # 18
    355 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2017

    ExpectingBee :  I’d go to the wedding, and always wear bug spray/protective clothing if you’re concerned. If I were your brother, I’d be rather hurt that you’re prioritizing non-existent people over your sibling that you’ve known your whole life. Feels rather selfish if you ask me. Even if you’re planning to TTC, you don’t know when you will actually conceive (if at all) – so the idea that you’re skipping his wedding for someone who doesn’t even exist (and might not exist until well after Zika would even be a concern anymore) is hurtful. 

    Post # 19
    3544 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 29th, 2016

    ExpectingBee :  My husband and I are in the same boat – we haven’t taken or even planned our honeymoon yet, but are avoiding all zika locations because we will be TTC in about 2 years and don’t want to risk it. They just don’t know enough about how long it can stay in your system for us to feel comfortable chancing it. I get eaten up by mosquitoes and I’d still be paranoid with all of the deet spray in the world. I fortunately live up north near the Canadian border, so right now there isn’t any fear of it spreading to my hometown, but I can’t imagine just having to live with it and hoping for the best. I can control whether or not I want to be in an area with zika transmitting mosquitoes, and I choose to avoid them for now. I’m sure your family would understand your decision to make your future children’s developmental health a priority!

    Post # 21
    390 posts
    Helper bee

    On the Zika note, Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina are all high risk Zika zones, so does this mean that nobody living in these states is allowed to get pregnant for fear of microcephaly?

    I ask because I’m planning a Macchu Picchu trip to Peru (which because of the high elevation is actually a low risk zika zone) but live in SC which is higher risk and so I have no idea if I were to TTC what/when I would do it.

    Overall I think I agree with PP and just be extra cautious but still go. Wear light long sleeves and long pants, wear 90-100% DEET bug spray, and even buy some permethrin and wash your clothes in it to help ward off mosquitos. 

    Post # 22
    258 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2015

    The media is making people freak out over Zika (me being one of them) but I am following CDC guidelines and my husband and I are waiting 6 months before TTC. We just returned from Florida last week and were planning TTC right after but with Zika now in Florida we altered our plans. Is there a rush on TTC? If not than I would say go… I would never want to miss a family member getting married. But if there is a rush than I would explain to your brother about why you don’t want to go. Good luck to you!

    Post # 23
    1411 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2016

    To most people I’d say definitely go- I’d hate to miss my brother’s wedding and an amazing family holiday. It’s once in a lifetime and it will mean the world to him. Put off your second child a few months. There are always pluses of slightly bigger (or smaller) age gaps, plus you don’t know how quickly you’d get pregnant.

    I take Zika seriously having passed up on my preferred honeymoon destinations because of it. I’d leave it 6 months after returning from the Zika zone before TTC but in my situation 6 months means probably no baby at all ever.

    I say this on the basis that you’re under 35 and have never had any major bad news on the fertility front. If you’re over 35, like me at 41, I’d just have to miss the weding as time is not on my side. My advice really comes from wishing I had the luxury of deciding when to TTC. And also from loving weddings. And holidays! 😉



    The topic ‘Zika and TTC in next 2 years – WWYD?’ is closed to new replies.

    Find Amazing Vendors