- 6 years ago
- Wedding: May 2013
I’m in a similar boat! Just started TTC and have a carribbean trip planned in May 🙁 We are going to wait it out a bit since we already booked everything anyway, but it’s not looking good. Even if we don’t conceive by then, I’d be worried that conceiving around that time would put us at risk as well. So we’re just going to wait and see how things develop in a couple months and reevaluate then. It definitely sucks though!
It really boils down to whether you want to go on the trip or hold off on trying to conceive. Please note that the incubation period is supposedly 2-3 weeks so if you went you’d probably want to wait another cycle to make sure you didn’t contract the virus or if you did it would be out of your system. So that would be about 2 cycles. Plus-as a pp said timing is everything. If the trip falls in your 2ww you probably wouldn’t want to go.
I just read they are concerned about it becoming an issue in the southern US this summer as well. The mosquito is found all over North America. Scary stuff.
I’m starting to get a little concerned about where we live. Definitely don’t want to wait 2 years to conceive :-/
Where the heck did this virus come from? I’ve never heard of it before
Global warming may also play a part in the spread of the virus, since mosquitoes are the ones to transmit it, and they need warm weather.
As for the OP – I would not go. If I were not pregnant or TTC, I would not worry about it.
I wouldnt go. Not worth the risk. Some countries are recommending women not even get pregnant until 2018
Another option is to look at where the cases are being reported, i.e. in Mexico – there have only been a few reported cases in very specific locations. Right now the CDC has mexico on the list, but it’d be like saying don’t go to California because there’s a risk in Kansas and Washington DC. There’s still a slight risk in any low lying carribean/latin american country, even if only a few cases in other cities- Mexico City is a safe bet since that type of mosquito cannot live in the high elevation – but that’s not a beach vacation. Even in the U.S. Florida doesn’t have any confirmed cases, but the mosquito does live there (san diego?, LA?). So, I’d either change the destination to a less risky one, not go, or put off TTC for 2 more months. Honestly, a vacation right before you TTC could be really nice and just what you need to get pregnant right away. (Just make sure you try to limit mosquito bites!).
Infectious disease researcher here! I would DEFINITELY not go. But you also don’t have to say you’re trying to concieve. One of the faculty at my university has said if he had a daughter of child bearing age he would not want her going there for spring break (vacation… whatever). Accidents happen! Even if you aren’t trying! There’s a lot we don’t know about the virus and it’s impact. Better safe than sorry especially because you ARE TTC
The topic ‘Zika Virus – What Would You Do?’ is closed to new replies.